If I had to choose something I’m addicted to most, it wouldn’t be netflix binging or froyo or my movie collection- all of which are still very high up on the list- but quotes. quotes from films, books or poetry. There is something profound(ish) about reading a book or watching a movie and you stumble across a few words, a dialogue or even a passage that just really speaks to you- it will make you stop where you are in that chapter and re-read it- it will make you want to rewatch that scene again and feel the emotion all over again. That’s what I love- the ability to feel more inspired or moved; quotes are literally everywhere in my life. They’re written on my bedroom windows and mirrors in magic marker, written in my journal, illustrated on paper and hung on my walls- yea I know, I’m like that crazy cat lady… except with quotes and not cats. So I’ve decided to share some of my favorite and memorable quotes (thanks to Erika in Bookventureland for the idea- she made an awesome list of quotes from books) ,separated into quotes from books and quotes from films.
– “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains….. On their backs were vermiculite patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not to be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
– “….and horse and rider and horse passed on and their long shadows passed in tandem like shadow of a single being. Passed and paled into the darkening land, the world to come.”
– “It is a curious emotion, this certain homesickness I have in mind. With Americans, it is a national trait, as native to us as the roller-coaster or the jukebox. It is no simple longing for the home town or country of our birth. The emotion is Janus-faced: we are torn between a nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known
– “The things you know us by, are simply childish. Beneath it is all dark, it is all spreading…. this core of darkness could go anywhere, for no one saw it. They could not stop it, she thought, exulting. There was freedom, there was peace, there was, most welcome of all, a summoning together, a resting on a platform of stability.”
– “Still she loves the world for being rude and indestructible, and she knows other people must love it too…why else do we struggle to go on living, no matter how compromised, no matter how harmed?”
– “But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.”
“The town was paper but the memories were not. All the things I’d done here, all the love and pity and compassion and violence and spite, kept welling up inside me….. even if you want to leave, it is so hard.”
– “Cooper: You’re ruling out college for my son now? He’s fifteen.
Principal: Tom’s score simply isn’t high enough.
Cooper: What’s your waist line? What 32, 33 inseam?
Principal: I’m not sure I see what you’re getting at.
Cooper: You’re telling me it takes two numbers to measure your own ass but only one to measure my son’s future?”
– “We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there is life, there is hope.”
– “Don’t stare at me with those big eyes. Geez, you look like one of those barefoot kids from Bolivia who needs foster parents.”
– “Sometimes I think I have felt everything I’m ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I’m not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I’ve already felt.”
– “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.”
– “The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your life will flash by.”